This Friday, October 4th, we’re proud to co-host an empowered #PatientChat with @askdrfitz in advance of the Society for Participatory Medicine’s upcoming annual conference taking place in Boston on October 15th. Dr. Lisa K. Fitzpatrick will be joining a panel discussion at the conference entitled: Healthcare impressionism: Social determinants influence perceptions and we’re thrilled to get the discussion started a little early!
You can find all the details for the chat below and we hope to see you Friday on Twitter (or tchat.io/rooms/patientchat) at 10:00 am Pacific / 1:00 pm Eastern. Be sure to include the hashtag #patientchat in all your responses!
Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) are the conditions in the environments in which people live, learn, work, play, worship, and age that impact their health. Research has shown that these factors determine up to 90% of a patient’s health outcome. Some broad examples of social determinants of health include: economics, food, housing, environment, social support, health care, and education. Guiding our discussion will be the following Topic Questions:
- T1: What are the social determinants that might affect someone’s health? #patientchat #WTFix #SP4M2019
- T2: What should healthcare providers (HCPs) do to address patients’ social needs? #patientchat
- T3: How can you encourage a discussion of SDOH with your HCP? #patientchat
- T4: How can patients engage with the community and policymakers to improve SDOH? #patientchat
- T5: How will SDOH influence to future of healthcare? #patientchat
Learn more about Dr. Fitzpatrick
Dr. Lisa Fitzpatrick is an infectious diseases physician, CDC-trained medical epidemiologist and founder of Grapevine Health, an organization focused on improving health literacy and patient engagement. Her career has spanned research, clinical medicine, global health, community health education and patient advocacy. Full bio >>.